911 and 913 L Street, NW
These buildings anchor the southern edge of the Shaw Historic District. 911 L Street is a three-story red brick rowhouse with a raised entrance and English basement that was constructed circa 1854-1859. The graduated windows on the first two floors (and possibly the detailing around them) date from a façade alteration in 1904. 911 L Street is one of the oldest buildings to survive in the Shaw Historic District. 913 L Street is a three-story Romanesque brick and brownstone rowhouse with a raised entrance and English basement. The house was constructed in 1892 and designed by well-known Washington architect Appleton P. Clark. One house was demolished to make room for the development of two hotels and an apartment building. The other remains vacant and deteriorating.