2638-2640 Stanton Road, SE
These three frame houses represent the only surviving dwellings of the Barry Farm neighborhood, which developed east of the Anacostia River in the mid-nineteenth century. Constructed on land purchased from the heirs of James D. Barry, the community of Barry Farm was planned as part of a post-Civil War initiative to provide homes to former slaves. Larger than the original Barry Farm residences of the 1860s and 1870s, these dwellings represent the types of residences that were built at the beginning of the twentieth-century as the African-American community became more settled and affluent. Standing at the edge of the dense growth of vegetation separating Barry Farm from St. Elizabeths, the houses are remnants of the historic community that thrived in this semi-rural area in the mid-nineteenth century through the early twentieth century. 1954 redevelopment efforts destroyed nineteenth-century historic fabric and replaced nearby houses with public housing projects. These remaining buildings stand in a community that was further fragmented by the construction of the Suitland Parkway. Today, these frame houses are unprotected historic resources in an area with little vestige of its historic community.