Eckington

Bound by Rhode Island Avenue to the north, WMATA's Brentwood yard to the east, Florida Avenue to the south, and North Capitol to the west

In progress

Before Photo

After Photo

Not Available

Eckington, named for the village in England where Joesph Gales, Jr., Mayor of Washington from 1827 to 1830, was born. Gales purchased the land in 1815 and built a summer home in 1830 where Third and U Streets intersect today. In 1887, Eckington was bought by Colonel George Truesdell, who subdivided the property, improved it substantially for habitation, sold lots, and built five houses. Truesdell’s original five houses do not exist today, although several detached houses from the late nineteenth century, built by John H. Lane for Truesdell, remain.

Like other areas in Washington, the first three decades of the twentieth century brought a boom in row house construction to the neighborhood. Today, Eckington is slightly isolated between North Capitol Street and the Metro rail tracks, and retains much of its original row house stock. The area is under pressure, however, by speculative builders who are tearing down buildings that would be potentially contributing within a historic district, and replacing them with non-compatible buildings that envelop entire lots.

Share
Tweet
Share