- This event has passed.
Cotton Annex Tour
May 22, 2018 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
The Cotton Annex building was constructed in 1936-37 for the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for its Bureau of Agricultural Economics (BAE) to house offices and laboratories “dedicated to research, service, and regulatory work centering on the standardization and marketing of cotton, hay, wool, and a number of other products.” From opening until 1964, the implementation of cotton standards was one of the building’s most important functions.
Designed by Supervising Architect of the Treasury, Louis A. Simon, the Cotton Annex served as the headquarters of the USDA Cotton Division from completion of the building in 1937 until 1964. At that time the Standards section of the Cotton Division moved to Memphis, TN. Offices of the Cotton Division remained in the Cotton Annex until 1982, but other divisions of the USDA had moved into those laboratory spaces that had been devoted to cotton standardization activities. After 1982, GSA acquired ownership of the federal building. Government offices remained in the building until 2010, when the building became vacant. Douglas Development recently acquired the Cotton Annex. This tour, led by Architectural Historian Patti Kuhn Babin, will include a history of the building and information on its planned rehabilitation.
General admission: $25
Maximum participants: 30