On December 18th, the DC Preservation League (DCPL) in partnership with Ben and Dawn O’Connell submitted a nomination to designate the Slowe-Burrill House, 1256 Kearny Street, NE, as a DC Landmark. “We were delighted to learn more about the lives of our house’s former owners and are pleased that this designation will preserve such an
The Recorder of Deeds Building, designed by the Office of the Municipal Architect under Nathan C. Wyeth, was one component of a municipal complex planned for the Judiciary Square area. Its “stripped classical” style, popularized by Paul Cret and Bertram Goodhue, echoes that of the District of Columbia Municipal Center one block east. A companion
Address 201 East Capitol Street, S.E. The Folger Shakespeare Library is a monumental block-long structure clad in white Georgia marble that rises on the south side of East Capitol Street, between 2nd and 3rd Streets SE, in close proximity to the equally monumental buildings of the Library of Congress, the Supreme Court, and the U.S.
Address 1145 17th Street NW The National Geographic Society headquarters, located at 1145 Seventeenth Street Northwest in Washington, DC, is a ten-story, mid-century modern office building and exhibition space that was designed by architect Edward Durell Stone, and built between 1961 and 1963. Constructed of reinforced concrete, with an exterior of white marble, black granite,
Address 150 S Street, NW St. Paul’s is associated with the development of the Bloomingdale community as the earliest and best surviving example of a neighborhood church, and for its relation to patterns of demographic change in the city and local community as the church of the first African-American congregation in Bloomingdale. Other neighborhoods also
Address 104-108 Rhode Island Avenue, NW A popular venue for entertainment and community events, the American Theater building has served as an anchor for Bloomingdale during periods of stability and change. It was a prime factor in the development of the neighborhood. The theater and nearby row of shops created a true commercial and community